KAREN A. MARLEY
Phone: (585) 266-4818
- Versatile writer specializing in long copy.
- Familiarity with education and how people absorb information.
- Able to communicate ideas effectively and concisely.
- Experience with project development.
- Wrote winning award submission for Rochester’s Business Ethics Award.
- Increased PR exposure and visibility for clients as a direct result of press releases, business-to-business letters and websites.
- Launched and edited a downtown revitalization newsletter which generated income for non-profit client in two years.
- Helmed Turtle Bay Exploration Park’s efforts in applying for and winning California’s Waste Reduction of the Year Award from the state’s Department of Integrated Waste Management.
Viva Downtown: A Mainstreet Organization
Editor, Downtown Spotlight • 2001 – 2003
- Collaborated with Executive Director and Graphic Designer to define target audience, goals, style, and voice for Downtown Spotlight, a full-color, glossy, 8-page publication.
- Coordinated with Organization Committee and Graphic Designer to develop newsletter identity with regular features, consistent layout, and appropriate content to inspire readers to support their downtown.
- Contributed articles, filler text, and sidebars in addition to editing all aspects of the newsletter.
Turtle Bay Exploration Park
Education Specialist/Chair of EcoLogic Committee • 1999 – 2003
- Successful grant writer.
- Created copy for the museum’s education program including calendar copy, press releases, and education materials.
- Developed and wrote Turtle Bay’s Environmental Policy Statement.
- Oversaw the execution of a Museum Youth Initiative Program (a teen volunteer program) that included writing reports, website content, newsletter, and other printed educational materials.
- Design NY. A resource guide for fine home design, furnishings, products, and services.
- Central New York Environment: A regional publication highlighting ideas, research and actions pertaining to the environment and furthering ecological understanding.
- Shasta Parent: A regional publication covering Northern California. Contributed articles on sustainable living, healthy lifestyles, and education.
- AIG Private Client Group: case study.
- Bella Bleu Color: article.
- Benefit Representatives of America: Web site rewrite.
- Blue Knight Windsor Chair: Web site copy and brochure.
- Business Strategies Magazine: feature article (front cover).
- By the Basketful: B2B marketing letters.
- CE-Technologies: Web site rewrite and folder insert.
- Dave Baxter Realty: copy for series of direct mail cards targeting home sellers.
- Design NY: advertorials, editorial articles.
- Edward Jones, Kelly Olczak Financial Advisor: professional biography.
- Foot Solutions: business-to-business marketing letters, press releases, promotional letter.
- Hidden Valley Ranch, CA: information/education letter on trail system for high-end real estate development, targeting current and potential residents.
- JR Language Services: business-to-business marketing letter.
- Midnight Janitorial: ethics award binder, business biography, press release.
- Museum of Science & Technology (MOST): contributed to Web site content, newsletter, grants, and wrote text for direct mail targeting schools for a new exhibit.
- Nothnagle Realty, Gene McMaster: marketing letter.
- Optima Benefits Group, press release.
- P.E.E.L. Transformations: business biography for magazine advertisement.
- Pinpoint Positioning.
- Rochester FreeNet: press release.
- Rochester Wine School: press release.
- SalesSense Solutions: B2B marketing letters
- See It All 360: press release.
- Seniorsfirst: fundraising letter.
- The Storylady: copy for brochure.
- Volpe & Associates: press releases.
- Whitney East Inc.: project descriptions/sell sheets.
- Working Art Media: business biography for magazine advertisement.
- State University of New York, College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY
Master of Science, Environmental Science 1998
- University of California, Irvine, CA
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science 1993
- Universite des Etudes Politique, Grenoble, France
UC Irvine Education Abroad Program 1991 – 1992